Varicose veins (ERW) - a General term for a group of diseases for which the inherent deformation and the increase in size of the venous vessels. Lesion may involve both the small veins, 2-3 mm in diameter and larger that have a diameter of 2-3 cm.
For the diagnosis of varicose veins using an ultrasonic vein mapping, which is today considered to be the most accurate and painless method of diagnosis. As a rule, the treatment of the disease at an early stage of development allows for the most effective treatment. It is therefore important to know the first signs of varicose veins and when they occur, immediately consult a doctor.
Description varicose veins of lower extremities
Varicose vein disease begins with the appearance of the so-called spider veins on the legs or spider veins. These vials have a clearance of a few millimeters in diameter. Due to the fact that they are located inside the skin, the enlargement and increase are immediately noticeable. Can be one, but most often venous filaments which are intertwined with each other.
The extension of reticular veins - often the next step after varicose venous veins, although often develop on their own. Appear on the skin green, purple veins. This files most often occur on the thighs and legs. The thickness of reticular varicose veins larger than “spider” veins but they are smaller and practically do not protrude above the skin than varicose dilated veins.
Causes of varicose veins of the lower extremities
Veins - blood vessels that usually return blood from the legs up toward the heart. Blood flow in the venous system should also always travel from the superficial veins to deeper veins in the legs. The bleeding is usually not moved down in the reverse direction or outwards from deep to superficial veins, as the veins are one-way valves. With their help, prevents backward flow of blood.
Some people have venous valves can be damaged, and then the blood flow is altered not only in relation to the heart, but also can move back down the leg, especially while standing, and then talk about reflux.
Varicose veins tend to appear
- with age;
- those who have a genetic predisposition to varicose veins;
- during a long stay on his feet or in a seated position;
- during pregnancy or after childbirth;
- in some cases after a prolonged burden on the deep veins.
To remove varicose veins in the circumstances, it is considered potentially dangerous action, because it would eliminate an important path for the flow of blood that needs to flow away from the lower extremities back to the heart.
Symptoms and diagnosis of varicose veins of the lower extremities
Common symptoms of varicose veins include:
- cosmetically unpleasant kind, expressed venous dilation;
- swelling of the affected lower limb;
- pigmentation of the skin;
Less common symptoms include ulceration, superficial thrombophlebitis and bleeding.
Basic principles for the purpose of treatment of varicose veins of the legs
The necessity for treatment of varicose veins occur when the expansion of blood vessels in the lower extremities; the increased pain and the appearance of General discomfort in the affected areas. Sometimes this condition can indicate a serious problem with circulation, the solution of which often requires the use of advanced therapeutic procedures such as sclerotherapy, laser surgery or endovascular surgery.
Before used any treatment determined by the symptoms of the disease. In some cases, they are completely absent or weakly expressed. Other defines:
- dark purple veins:
- itching and burning in the affected area;
- bleeding from the veins;
- severe pain after sitting or standing for a long time.
The deadline for seeking treatment is when problems arose with the process of self-service. It is often the individual attempts to control or eliminate varicose veins has been unsuccessful.
What is the surgical treatment of varicose veins of the lower extremities?
Some patients require better and more radical treatment of varicose veins. Such tactics are most often associated with the removal or blocking of the affected veins. This is an open operation and minimally invasive procedures, which include:
- Sclerotherapy is a simple procedure that consists in the closure of varicose veins by injection of the liquid chemical into the vein. Under the influence of a substance irritation and final blocking (occlusion) of the veins. This kind of surgical treatment is most suitable for small and less pronounced varices. Sclerotherapy is most often performed every 4 weeks; during this period the patient's legs should be to roll up in bandages, which reduces the severity of the pathological process.
- Micro sclerotherapy - as the name suggests, the procedure aimed at the treatment of small varicose veins. The amount of the injected chemical fluid is also small, and the procedure gives the same results as sclerotherapy.
- Laser surgery: This treatment does not include surgery or injection of liquid chemicals. To resolve varicose veins in the affected areas is exposed to a laser beam.
- Endo venous ablation therapy - in this method of varicose vein treatment doctor uses laser radiation or radio waves. Unlike laser surgery, which works by light during this procedure, heat is generated, causing the veins to expand and to close, and subsequently does become the connective tissue bands. The doctor cuts the skin around the affected veins and then enters the catheter, the tip which supplies heat necessary for the healing process. Because the procedure is not complicated, the only area that requires post-operative care, is affected with the aim of trimming fabric.
- Endovascular surgery and ablative therapy, in this procedure the doctor must cut the affected part, and then uses a surgical instrument by which hold the vein occlusion. This treatment is mainly designed to remove severe varicose veins, which contribute to the formation of wounds on the skin.
Are there any home treatments for varicose veins of the lower extremities?
When violations on the part of the venous system should pay attention to the following recommendations that are appropriate for use at home:
- Need to do workout at least one minute. Researchers at the Mayo clinic say that even a super-short walk to reduce pressure on the legs and stimulate blood circulation, which helps to keep the blood from clotting, and the small veins in the lower legs and ankles from breakage. If you regularly do Hiking, then you can reduce your risk of developing peripheral artery diseases that occurs on the background of the accumulation of fatty deposits in the arteries of the lower extremities.
- You should replace the salt with garlic powder. “Excessive amounts of sodium can contribute to swollen feet are much stronger and the swelling causes tiny cracks in the walls of capillaries that lies in the formation of spider veins,” explains Valencia Thomas, MD, a dermatologist from the University of Texas health science center. Fix: Replace the taste of salt in the usual diet can garlic powder, which, according to analyses of research, causing a decrease in inflammation and reduces the swelling of tissues along with the occurrence of pain in the legs.
- Massage of the muscles. A study conducted by the University of Illinois, was evaluated by rubbing feet massage direction from bottom to top or a dry brush. Both methods improve the bloodstream up to 72 hours. And the better blood circulation in the lower extremities, the less likely that there will be spider veins or varicose veins.
- Compression stockings. If you frequently bother sensitive feet due to prolonged standing, can occur deterioration problems with the veins and increased severity of symptoms. In such cases help cheap knee compression stockings. Elastic fibers stockings conducive to accurate ejection of blood from the veins of the ankles. Also ensures a more even distribution of blood in the lower extremities, which prevents increased venous origin of the pain and ulceration.
What used treatment of folk remedies for varicose veins of the lower extremities?
To strengthen the blood vessels, including veins, you can use various herbal remedies and methods of influence. Some of them are suitable for the treatment of varicose veins at home, as discussed below.
- The pine bark extract. It contains high levels of plant compounds that prevent the problem with the capillary and control the process of inflammation. This, in turn, reduces varicose veins and pain, eliminate the sense of pressure, fatigue, swelling and discoloration of the skin.
- Oil extract of St. John's wort. Prepared from 60 g of grass and 100 g of olive oil. In two weeks the infused and used for foot massage.
- Bath with a decoction of lavender, mint and juniper works wonders. The same combination can be found in the form of salts for bathing procedures.
- Horse chestnut is another tested means to resolve problems. Before ancient healers recommended this medicine in severe swelling and tension in the legs. You can cook chestnut bran (sold in beauty shops and are used for peeling), mixing them with warm water and a small amount of Apple cider vinegar. The prepared ointment is applied on the problem area, then wrap in a towel and left it for half an hour. The body is at rest.
- Apple cider vinegar is known as a means of reducing temperature. It can be used to soothe tired feet. Instant effect compresses with towels soaked in Apple cider vinegar. Wrapping legs so you can sleep all night. If you need to instantly eliminate the pain or swelling, you should put waffles in Apple cider vinegar for a few minutes and put in the refrigerator and then apply it to the affected areas on the feet.
- Oil of magnesium. Magnesium chloride contained in the more popular magnesium oil, produces more than 320 enzymatic reactions in contact with skin. As a result, improves the elasticity of muscle fibers and blood vessel walls. They become more resistant to the pressure that the blood on the veins. It is no coincidence that healthy oil used by athletes. It is simple to use and its price is affordable.
- The cabbage leaves. Instant effect also have cabbage compresses. It is better to put the outer leaves of cabbage on your feet after a thorough cleaning. Cabbage literally “pulls” the pain out of the legs, so after this treatment again felt the old ease.
There are options for treatment of varicose veins with hydrogen peroxide and dry leaves of horseradish, but they are less effective and do not always help, as evidenced by the reviews already tried users.
What is the treatment of ulcers in varicose veins of the lower extremities?
Patients with skin ulcers and eczema occurred on the background of varicose veins, is a vascular surgeon. The treatment of ulcers, appearing due to varicose veins, is to control the pressure in the veins of the legs and the direct impact of the sores.
- The control of the pressure in the legs. Pressure control is extremely important for patients with venous ulcers. In particular, it is required several times during the day and while sleeping elevate legs to heart level or above. Such action can help to reduce the swelling of tissues.
- Treatment of ulcers with varicose veins. Are body wraps overlap or bandage on the affected leg. They change as the saturation resulting from the ulcer fluid: sometimes several times a day, sometimes once a week.
- Surgical treatment. With the development of poorly healing ulcers on the background of varicose veins require more intensive services and treatment of wounds. New treatment options of varicose veins minimally traumatized, are performed under local anesthesia and safely performed in ambulatory surgery centers. The choice of treatment depends on the group affected veins that cause symptoms. In particular, can be used: ablation, ambulatory phlebectomy and sclerotherapy.
How useful leech therapy in varicose veins of the lower extremities?
Leeches used in the treatment of varicose veins for many years. It is believed that when attaching to the body of the leech at first bite the skin, but is painless because the leech bite is considered to be anesthetic. The leech can be attached to the skin from 20 minutes to 40 minutes. The saliva of leeches also possesses anticoagulant properties, that is thins the blood. Its ingestion helps to prevent blood clotting at the same time, it helps dissolve existing blood clots. The result is improved blood flow and more actively spread the nutrients throughout the body.
At the time, like leeches suck blood, pressure blood often increased with varicose veins of the lower leg decreases. Sometimes the bleeding continues after several hours after the leech was separated from the body, but it is not considered a complication and after a time the state is normalized.
The reason you use this method of treatment of the serious condition of varicose vein disease, is that it is safe. After the treatment the veins in the legs usually become normal and they are able to perform the function of transporting blood. No side effects or complications associated with the use of this therapy.